Thursday, January 20, 2011

Operating Room

You know that great amazing feeling when you wake up in the middle of the night and you realize you still have more hours to sleep!
Well that was me last night.
I woke up at 2:30am this morning to use el baƱo and when I looked at the clock I was so excited
because I still had 2 more hours to sleep!
My alarm was set to go off at 4:40am
It's clinical day..what do you expect!

My plan: 
1. Wake up
2. Throw on the scrubs and get ready
3. Make a lunch
4. Grab the brownies I made for Paige's bday
5. Go get Paige at 5:30am
6. Get to the hospital by 5:50

Well...when does anything ever goes as planned?

What actually happened:
1. Woke up at 5:32 from a text from Paige
2. Freaked out and jumped out of bed
{sorry Gabs, I was so loud}
3. Threw on my scrubs
4. Ran out the door
5. Ran back inside to grab my stethoscope
6. Ran out the door...again
7. Ran back inside to grab a banana
{instructions from my clinical instructor...eat a hardy carb filled breakfast...its OR day}
8. Ran out the door...again
9. Ran back inside to grab the brownies on the counter
10. Off to Paige's I went- got there in 2 minutes
11. Picked up Paige
12. Got to Timpanogos Hospital in 6.3 minutes
{..I may have been driving just a tad fast...sorry mom and dad but don't worry! No ticket}
13. Kicked Paige out of the car at the Main Entrance so she wasn't late
14. Parked the car
15. Went to my shift in Same Day Surgery/OR
16. Only 2 minutes late..phew!
17. Let the day begin


Mark this day one of the best days in Nursing School
I had an amazing nurse that I got to follow
I inserted my first catheter on a real person today! 
{A female even...way harder than a male}
No more tomatoes!
I inserted IV's
I wore Surgery Scrubs
{way more comfortable than my BYU scrubs}
I wore face masks and hair caps
I watched surgeries all morning

Brachytherapy surgeries
BMT's
Adenoidectomies

and so on and so forth
I was on cloud 9
I got to work with amazing nurses, doctors and anesthesiologists
It's days like these that makes me forget about the endless amount of homework I have 
or the brutal tests I have to study for
It's days like these that make me excited to become a nurse.
and it's days like these that make me feel like I am a nurse
Yay for the Operating Room!

P.S.
As mentioned before it is Paige's Birthday!
Happy 20th Birthday my dear friend Paige Brunt
I am so glad that I met you in Chemistry class
You are an amazing friend and wonderful person
You inspire me everyday with your optimism and love for life.
And you are the best nursing partner ever.
Love you!
oh ya, and I love how you are obsessed with Grey's Anatomy.
Makes me love you that much more!
{what a beautiful girl!}

1 comment:

  1. madison you are the best! thanks for the brownies and the shout out! you are my best friend, seriously. and i'm glad you don't have to practice on tomatoes anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete